Skip to Content Skip to Main Menu Skip to Global Menu
Colclough Lake Colclough Lake
Home Citizen Services Residents Businesses Visitors Emergency Services County Offices


Press Releases facebook logo Email Alerts E-mail Alert sign up

  • There are no press releases at this time

Check the status of Land Use Applications & Developments in your neighborhood.

New! Track Applications using the MapGenius
Watch this video tutorial


Accessory Living UnitEmail | Call: 352-374-5243

Website | Rural or Urban Checklist | Affidavit

Building PermitFees | Call: 352-374-5243

Process | Pre-Application | Application | Other Permits

Comprehensive Plan AmendmentEmail | 374-5249

Process | Application | Fees

Development ReviewEmail | Call: 352-374-5249

Process | Pre-Application | Application | Fees

Family Homestead ExceptionEmail | 374-5243

Requirements | Application | Certificate | Affidavit

Home Based BusinessEmail | Call: 352-374-5243

Requirements | General Appl. | Rural Application

Housing AssistanceEmail | Call: 352-337-6284

Visit our website to view programs

Neighborhood Stabilization Program 3 337-6284

NSP Packet | Website | Email

Temporary PermitsEmail | Call: 352-374-5243

Types | Temporary Use Application

Rezoning or Special Use PermitEmail | 374-5249

Process | Application | Mailout or Owner's Affidavitt

VariancesEmail | Call: 352-374-5243

Application | Written Petition | Affidavit


Office Location and Hours of Operation

Receive Notifications in your inbox
Sign Up for County Press Releases

You will be notified of all Planning Commission, County Commission and Development Review Committee hearings, news of any upcoming Planning workshops and items related to the Neighborhood Stabilization Program

Check the status of Land Use Applications & Developments in your neighborhood

  • HOVER your mouse over the "Projects" tab above for scheduled hearings & related documents and maps.

Phone/Fax (Area Code 352)

  • Planning (P) 374-5249 (F) 338-3224
  • Housing (P) 337-6284 (F) 381-0121
  • Permits, Code Enforcement & Zoning
    (P) 374-5243 (F) 491-4510

Advisory Committees

These Committees meet regularly and are open to the public. View Committee Meeting Dates/ Agendas with GM staff representation:



close window

Zoning Administration

  • Benny Beckham
  • Administrator
  • County Annex Building
  • 1st Floor
  • 10 SW 2nd Avenue
  • Gainesville, Fl 32601
  • Phone: 352-374-5243
  • Fax: 352-491-4510
  • Hours: 8:30-4:00 pm
  • Map

# Contact UsClick me

The County allows variances to certain requirements of the Land Development Code (ULDC), where special conditions applicable to a piece of property make strict enforcement of the code impractical, resulting in a hardship. Variances allow the reasonable use of a property, provided the use is in the best public interest and does not jeopardize the general health, safety, or welfare of County residents.

The Board of Adjustment

The Board of Adjustment is a five member citizen body appointed by the County Commission that hears all requests for variances.

The Board meets on a monthly basis to review variance applications. They have the authority to approve, approve with conditions, or deny an applicants request for one of the following:

  • Variances from the dimensional requirements of any zoning district, excluding the PD district.
  • Personal hardship variances for a secondary living unit in the A or R-1c districts
  • Variances to the public road frontage requirements for the first split of a parent parcel or for family homestead exceptions.
  • Family Homestead Exceptions & Transfer of certificates
  • Variances and appeals from the Airport Impact Zoning Regulations

Zoning District Variances

#Minimum yard/setback requirements;
#Lot width or lot depth;
#Maximum height or building coverage;

See Chapter 402, Article 26 of the Land Development Code (ULDC) for more detailed information about the variance types and their requirements.

Personal Hardship Variances

In hardship cases, such as an aged or infirm family member, an accessory living unit may be allowed in an A or R-1c zoning district subject to the following requirements:

#The unit must be a mobile home, manufactured home, or attached to principal residence;

#The property cannot be subdivided into two separate lots;

#Conditions can be placed on the unit to require its removal at the termination of the hardship or to require recertification of need over time. Design criteria may also be placed on the secondary unit to integrate it with the existing residence;

Road Frontage Variances

Variances to the public road frontage requirement in Section 407.73(f)1 of the ULDC may be permitted for the first split of a parent parcel or for a family homestead exception under the following conditions:

#Applicant must provide proof of access to a county maintained public road;

#Applicant must demonstrate that a hardship exists;

#Private road must meet minimum width, stabilization and maintenance requirements of the Public Works Department;

Family Homestead Exceptions

Some Family Homestead Exceptions can be approved administratively, but if an applicant does not show a residual lot of at least five acres, the application must be reviewed by the Board of Adjustment in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 402, Article 23 of the ULDC.

Any request to transfer a family homestead exception certificate to an individual not meeting the definition of an immediate family member provided in Section 402.143 of the ULDC must be reviewed by the Board of Adjustment.

Airport Impact Regulations

The Board of Adjustment has two duties pertaining to the Airport Impact Regulations in Chapter 405, Article 7 of the ULDC:

#Granting variances from the requirements under Fl. Statutes s.333.07(2)

#Hearing and deciding appeals from any order, requirement, decision, or determination made in the enforcement of the ULDC, as provided in Fl. Statutes s.333.08