History of Alachua County
The Dell brothers, who first visited the Alachua region during the "Patriot War" 1812-14, returned to settle here. A post office called Dells was established here in 1826. Alachua County was created by the Territorial Legislation on Dec. 29, 1824, and in 1828 they named the Dell P.O. settlement on the Bellamy Road, Newnansville, and designated it to be the county seat. It remained the county seat until 1854 when it was moved to the new railroad town of Gainesville.
Newnansville served as a refugee center for hundreds of settlers displaced by the Second Seminole War (1835-42). After these troubles, the town grew and prospered, serving as the commercial center for the surrounding area. However, the town slowly declined after losing the county seat. In 1884 the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railroad bypassed it by a mile and a half to the southwest and a new town, Alachua, developed along the railroad. Businesses and homes moved gradually to the new communi-ty so that by the midpoint of the 20th century, Newnansville had vanished. The Newnansville Town Site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
The Alachua post office was established April 30, 1887 and the town was incorporated on April 12, 1903. Alachua continues to serve as an important commercial and agricultural center.