1. Calvin Merry House
Calvin Merry, descendant of some of the earliest settlers in the area, built this house in 1880 for his bride Kate. An original small gabled entrance was replaced with the two-story porch that was later enclosed.
2. Powell House
Benjamin William Powell, captain of a Micanopy contingent in the Confederate army, built this simply styled house out of heart pine in 1866. A passageway originally separated the kitchen from the rest of the house.
3. Old Brick School House
The cornerstone of this brick structure bears its date of construction, 1895. The school, which at one time edu-cated children from Paynes Prairie to the Marion County line, now serves as Town Hall and Public Library.
4. Thrasher Warehouse
This utilitarian wooden structure was built on a Florida Southern railroad spur in 1890 by John Early Thrasher. The Coca Cola sign on the north wall was painted in the 1920s. The building now houses the Micanopy Historical Museum.
5. Thrasher Stare
The date on the upper facade of this imposing brick building establishes 1923 as the year of construction. J.E. Thrasher & Son, a company described in a contemporary account as one of the largest mercantile firms in Alachua County, sold general merchandise.
6. Presbyterian Church
A Presbyterian congregation was organized in 1854 and this building was erected in 1870 on land donated by James A. and Sarah Simonton, Benjamin W. and Esther M. Powell, and George W. and Mattie S. Means. The plain style is similar to that of the Baptist Church which dates from the same period.
7. Herlong Mansion
The brick exterior, in neoclassical style, completely covers the frame house built on the site in 1875 by R. S. Stoughton. Stoughton sold the house to John Simonton, whose son-in-law, Z.C. Herlong, did extensive renovations in 1915. Original heart pine floors remain on the second floor of the house, now a bed and breakfast.
8. Fontaine House
This Queen Anne-style house was completed by September 1911 for Captain Benjamin W. Fontaine on the site where his house burned down during the previous winter. Fontaine had a phosphate business and also ran the general store across the street from the house.
9. Smith Building
Samuel B. Smith built this commercial structure of brick, without the second story porch, in about 1900. The style is similar to that of nearby buildings that were already in existence. The building appears in the movie Cross Creek (1982), about the life of writer Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
10. Mott-May Building
This building was constructed before 1900 by N.B. Mott in a style similar to that of the Benjamin Building, with decorative brick on the upper facade and Gothic Revival window arches. It was a general store that was purchased by Robert H. May in 1930. It serves as background in the film Cross Creek (1982).
11. Dailey Drug Store
Dr. Ira A. Dailey operated a drug store on the first floor of this building constructed in 1925 when the economy was booming. Dailey's office, his family's living quarters, and hotel accommodations were upstairs.
12. Feaster Building
The style of this building is similar to that of other commercial buildings on Micanopy's Business Square. Built in 1903 by Otis Laney Feaster, Jr.; there was a general store on the ground floor, a telephone office on the second floor, and a theater on the third floor for opera, plays, and Chautauqua events.
13. Benjamin Building
The original building constructed in 1885 had two stories and its Gothic Revival style set the tone for the Business Square. It served as a dry goods store for S.H. Benjamin and Co. The upper story burned about 1900.
14. Micanopy Banking Company
Organization of the Micanopy Banking Company by John Jacob Barr in 1906 reflected prosperous times. In contrast to older buildings on the Square, the style of the bank building is classical; with a prominent denticulated cornice, and thresholds, window sills and keystones made of marble.
15. Historical Marker
This historical marker has information about the naturalist William Bartram (1739-1823), who wrote about his travels during the seventeenth century in the area that is now Florida.
16. Simonton House
Fancier than older homes in Micanopy is this Queen Anne-style Victorian, built in 1910 by cattle rancher James Boyce Simonton. The Ionic columned verandah and other features inspired a reference to it in a 1911 edition of the Gainesville Sun as "one of the prettiest houses in Micanopy."
17. Stewart-Merry House
151 E. Ocala Dr. James Stewart built a two- room log office on this site in 1855, which is the basis for designating this house as the oldest in Micanopy and one of the few antebellum homes in Florida. Added before 1872 were two upper stories, a kitchen ell, storage, and servants quarters. John Duskin Merry owned it from 1916 to 1945.
18. John Jacob Barr House
103 E. Ocala This house was built in 1921 on the site of the original Victorian home of John Jacob Barr, who had come from South Carolina in the mid-nineteenth century. Modern building materials were used to prevent fire and to provide cool comfort in the humid Florida cli-mate. In the front yard remains one of two giant oaks believed to be the original council oaks (ca. 1830s) of Chief Micanopy.
19. Watkins House
104 E. Ocala John Jacob Barr built this Craftsman bungalow in 1916 for his niece Caroline and her husband John Barr Watkins. Designed by Shields Warren of Gainesville for outdoor living, it has a large porch and pergola. Caroline B. Watkins is author of The Story of Historic Micanopy (1976).
20. Old Baptist Church
107-A Smith St. This church was built in the mid-1880s to house the congregation of the Micanopy Baptist Church which had been organized in 1852. The building is now a private residence.
21. Montgomery Wall
All that remains of the beautiful home of Dr. Lucius Montgomery, which burned in the 1930s, is this wall built originally in 1895. The wall was dismantled in 1997 to make way for a wider road and rebuilt in 1998 by the Micanopy Preservation Trust with the help of a grant from the Florida Department of State, Bureau of Historic Preservation.
22. Micanopy Cemetery
The earliest grave is that of James W. Martin, who was born in 1737 and died in 1826. Old trees provide shade, and Victorian sculpture marks the graves of Florida pioneers and those who followed.